I am so excited, this was my first attempt at doing this and I must say it was very easy to do.
What you need:
- 2 packages (60 each) diapers (size 14-22 lbs)
- Large elastic rubber bands
- card stock (theme colours)
- DS* paper (theme colours)
- tape runner
- hole punch
- grommets (for this you need both tape runner and grommets to keep bands together)
- various flower punches different sizes
- Sucker sticks (Bulk Barn)
- ribbon (theme colours)
- Cake plate (cardboard from Bulk Barn)
Take 3 diapers rolling each one individually and wrap with rubber band so they form a neat row for outer circle, keep doing this until you form a circle.
With the circle formed, start rolling (in threes) creating a bundle and fill in the center of the circle. Once the circle is compete cut your bands of paper (mine was 2.5 high by 12 wide x 4 pieces). Each band was taped together and then I punched holes and with the grommets reinforce the bands, one at the top and one at the bottom.
Then I started to fill in the center rolling one diaper at a time until it was nice and tight.
Then I started on layer 2 and then 3. Once all three layers are complete then done the fun begins, decorating.
I have seen other samples of diaper cakes where gifts have been added but I prefer it to be less cluttered and more about the ribbon and paper. Thus keeping the cost to a minimum.
Approx time 2.5 hours Skill set: beginner